ANONYMOUS DENIES CALLING FOR FACEBOOK ATTACK
- A Twitter account linked to the hacker group Anonymous on Monday, Jan 23, denied that the group had released a video calling on the public to launch a cyber-attack on Facebook, according to Times Live.
The tweet was distributed just hours after someone who claimed to represent the group posted a video on YouTube calling for a coordinated attack on the social networking giant Facebook on January 28, to protest plans to crack down on online piracy.
"An online war has begun between Anonymous, the people, and the government of the United States," the video narrator says. "While SOPA and PIPA may be postponed from Congress, this does not guarantee that our Internet rights will be upheld."
At issue are the two anti-piracy bills which were delayed last week following unprecedented online protests.
The video called on supporters to download a tool that launches denial of service attacks on targeted websites, and said that if enough people joined the effort, it could bring down Facebook, even though it has over 60 000 servers.
But the call was swiftly rejected by the users of the Twitter account who in the past have spoken for the secretive hacker collective, raising the possibility that the Facebook video was either a hoax or supported by an Anonymous splinter group.
"Again we must say that we will not attack #Facebook! Again the mass media lie," the group tweeted from the @AnonOps feed.
The episode came just days after Anonymous launched a string of high profile attacks which brought down the website of the US Justice Department, CBS News and the Motion Picture Association of America in retaliation for the closure last week of the file-sharing service Megaupload.
- 1826 Death of Jooghayetsi Hovakim Lazariants. In 1815, he built the Lazarian Academy in Moscow by using his brother's (Hovhannes Lazarian) legacy. He was born on 1743 09 05.
- 1933 Opening of Yerevan's Tobacco Factory.
- 1965 Death of Sir Winston Churchill (politician). He first used the term "Holocaust" to describe the 1915 Genocide of the Armenians perpetrated by the Turks. (He was born in 1874).
- 1965 Izrael Oree meets Tsar Peter the Great to discuss Freedom for the Armenians in Artsakh.
- 1973 The Armenian SSR Council of Ministers decides to create the Central Archives of Armenian Periodicals.
- 1973 Decision to create the Armenian Periodicals Central Government Archives.