JACKSON FAMILY DROPS CLAIM FOR COMPENSATION FROM DOCTOR
- Michael Jackson's family has dropped a claim for compensation from the King of Pop's former doctor Conrad Murray over the star's sudden death in 2009, a spokeswoman said.
AFP reports that prosecutors were due in court next week to press a claim against Murray - who was jailed for four years in November after being convicted of involuntary manslaughter - to pay over $100 million in damages to the family.
But that court date has been canceled after the Jackson family decided it would no longer seek compensation, said a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office. "The family withdrew the restitution request and the matter was taken off calendar," said spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons.
Prosecutors announced when Murray was jailed that they would seek restitution of $100 million, plus more than $1 million in funeral-associated costs - from Murray on behalf of Jackson's children.
But Murray's lawyers said there was no point, since the doctor has no money. Observers said the restitution claim could be to prevent Murray profiting from the case in the future, by book or other deals.
Murray was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for having given the singer an overdose of the powerful anesthetic propofol while trying to help him sleep at his mansion on June 25, 2009.
Jackson was in Los Angeles rehearsing for a series of comeback concerts in London when he died.
- 1780 The Armenian colony of New Nakhichevan (Rostov, Russia) is founded.
- 1921 Publication in Brussels of Abbot Matern Muret's memoirs. He witnessed the Genocide of the Marash Armenians by the Turks from January 20 to February 11, 1920 as a result of French perfidy. He called the killing of 20000 Armenians during that time enough to make any human insane.
- 1933 Opening of the Spendiaryan State Opera Building in Yerevan.
- 1989 The Supreme Soviet of the USSR establishes a special authority headed by Volsky in Artsakh. This authority is directly subject to the USSR Government rather than to Soviet Azerbaijan. In the summer, a National Council was formed which represented all strata of Artsakhs population.