FORMER MANCHESTER UNITED STRIKER PLANS TO RUN FOR FRENCH PRESIDENT
Former Manchester United striker Eric Cantona has revealed he wants to be the next President of France.
The 45-year-old is hoping to run in this year's presidential election and is currently trying to gather the 500 signatures needed. He needs them by the end of February and has sent a letter to French mayors asking for their support.
In the letter, Cantona denounces the limited opportunities for young people in France.
The letter, which was printed in the newspaper Liberation, said: "This engagement obliges me to speak, more earnestly than usual, but also with a keen sense of my responsibility, at a time when our country faces difficult choices which will be decisive for its future."
He also described the social injustices faced by French youngsters as "too numerous, too violent and too systematic".
Candidates who get the required number of signatures will compete in a first round in late April, with the two biggest vote-winners going through to a decisive second round in early May, BBC reported.
- 1846 Birth of Armenian philologist and specialist of Indo-European languages, Serovbe Derveeshyan. He founded and edited the first philological magazine, "Lezoo" (language) in 1887, in Constantinople.
- 1880 Hovhannes Lazaryan presents his proposal on the liberation of Armenia to A. Suvorov.
- 1923 Decision taken to create a united monetary structure and currency in Transcaucasia.
- 1928 Birth of theoretical physicist Andrey Amatoonee in St. Petersburg (Russia).
- 1967 Arooss -- the largest accelerator in the Soviet Union (6 billion electrovolts), is switched on in Yerevan.