IRAN TO SEND MICE INTO SPACE
Iranian scientists plan to send a second biocapsule of living creatures, probably mice, into the space, an academic revealed on Sunday, December 4, without giving any specific date for the launch.
"The plan for sending living creature into space was approved and it is waiting for a final approval," Mansour Kabkanian, a professor at Tehran's Amirkabir University, said on Sunday.
"After the final approval, the plan for sending living creatures into space will be implemented," he said, adding that the country plans to send the living creatures to the altitude of 300km below the 70 degrees orbit.
Kabkanian also mentioned that Iranian scientists have proposed sending mice into space since they are stronger and more resistant than other mammals, Fars news agency reported.
Earlier this year, Head of Iran's Space Agency renewed his promise that Iran would send a live monkey into space.
"One cannot give a set date for this project and as soon as our nation's scientists announce the readiness (of the project) it will be announced," said Hamid Fazeli in October.
Fazeli had said in mid-June that Iran plans to launch a Kavoshgar-5 rocket with a 285-kilogram capsule carrying a monkey to an altitude of 120 kilometers (74 miles)."
- 1837 Birth of Stepanos Palasanyan (armenologist) in Bodushan, Moldavia. He died in 1889 in Etshmiadsin.
- 1837 Death of Hakob Shahen-Jrpetyan (armenologist) in Tbilissi. He was born in 1772 in Urfa.
- 1920 The first Armenian issue of the "Communist" daily published in Yerevan. It was the official paper of the Central Committee of the Armenian Communist Party. After 1921, it was called "Soviet Armenia".
- 1920 The first order of the Revolutionary Committee of the Armenian SSR creates the People's Commissariat of Military Affairs of the Armenian SSR.
- 1936 The 7th Extraordinary Congress of the Soviet of the USSR confirms the new constitution. The Armenian SSR becomes a Union Republic.
- 1936 The Kanaker Power Plant is put on line.