AHMADINEJAD CALLS FOR MAXIMUM EXPANSION OF RELATIONS WITH ARMENIA
- Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad asked for the maximum expansion of relations between Iran and Armenia.
According to Fars News Agency, speaking on phone with his Armenian counterpart, the Iranian President reiterated "the abundant grounds existing for the further development of ties and cooperation between Tehran and Yerevan."
"The Islamic Republic of Iran welcomes maximum expansion of relations between the two countries, in various cultural , economic and political grounds and welcomes any move which helps attainment of this objective," Ahmadinejad said.
He also noted the two nations' age-old historical and cultural relations, and said the Iranian and Armenian people have heartfelt feelings for each other "and this has provided an appropriate capacity and potential for the growing consolidation and reinvigoration of the relations between the two countries".
Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan, for his part, stressed the importance of the increasing development of the relations between Tehran and Yerevan in all the various fields.
The Iranian President plans to visit Yerevan by the end of this year.
Earlier this month, the Director-General of the Iranian Presidential Office for International Affairs had told FNA that President Ahmadinejad would pay a visit to Armenia in the near future.
Mohammad Reza Forqani also mentioned that Ahmadinejad was due to visit Armenia at the invitation of President Serzh Sargsian on June 4, but the trip was called off.
The Iranian President was last in Armenia in October 2007. During his two day visit to the Central Asian state, Ahmadinejad met with university students and professors and Iranian expatriates in Armenia, and signed four agreements and a joint statement.
Also during the same visit, the University of Yerevan granted an honorary PhD degree to the Iranian president.
Sargsian was in Tehran in March to attend the Iranian New Year festivities.
- 1823 Death of historian Meekael Chamchyan, in Constantinople. He was born in 1738.
- 1853 Start of the battle of Sinop.
- 1908 Birth of the President of the Armenian Academy of Sciences Victor Hambardzoomyan (astrophysicist). He died in 1996.
- 1931 Death of Hovhannes Khan Masenian. He translated Shakespeare into Armenian.
- 1994 While sentencing historian Bernard Lewis in Paris, the French 17th Sessions Court affirmed that in 1915, the Armenians were victims of a crime against humanity.