INTERNATIONAL MEDIATORS' STATEMENT ON KARABAKH PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS IMPORTANT STEP - EXPERT
YEREVAN. - The world community does not recognize Nagorno-Karabakh as a state, hence, it cannot recognize the legitimacy of the elections held in there, political scientist Yervand Bozoyan told Armenian News-NEWS.am.
However, on the other hand, the statement that mediators acknowledge the need for the de facto authorities in Nagorno-Karabakh trying to organize democratically the public life of their population, carries positive character. Besides, according to Bozoyan, the presidential elections held in Karabakh were more democratic than in neighboring Azerbaijan.
As Armenian News-NEWS.am informed earlier, the mediators released a statement on Friday acknowledging the need for the de facto authorities in Karabakh, which try to organize democratically the public life of their population with such procedure.
However, the mediators note that none of their three countries recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as an independent and sovereign state. They stress that the procedures of July 19 in no way prejudge the final legal status of Nagorno-Karabakh or the outcome of the ongoing negotiations to bring a lasting and peaceful settlement to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
- 1827 A.S.Griboyedov and Abas-Mirza met in Karaziadin in order to discuss a peace treaty.
- 1902 Death of Archbishop Arsen Aytenian, religious figure and author.
- 1905 Attempted assassination of Sultan Abdul Hamid the Second.
- 1921 The Caucasus Bureau of the Russian Communist Party adopts a decision to annex Artsakh to Soviet Azerbaijan. This lays the foundation for the Stalinist practice of gerrymandering in Transcaucasia without consulting the populations will in such decisions.
- 1947 Death of academician Stepan Malkhassyan (philologist) in Yerevan. He was born in 1857.