MINSK GROUP CO-CHAIRS RELEASE NEW STATEMENT
MOSCOW/PARIS/WASHINGTON. - The OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs issued a statement Friday, which reads:
The OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs (Ambassadors Robert Bradtke of the United States, Igor Popov of the Russian Federation, and Jacques Faure of France) have noted reports about the conduct of "elections" that took place in Nagorno-Karabakh NK on July 19, 2012.
The Co-Chairs acknowledge the need for the de facto authorities in NK to try to organize democratically the public life of their population with such a procedure. However, the Co-Chairs note that none of their three countries, nor any other country, recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as an independent and sovereign state.
The Co-Chairs stress that the procedures of July 19 in no way prejudge the final legal status of Nagorno-Karabakh or the outcome of the ongoing negotiations to bring a lasting and peaceful settlement to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
- 1797 Catholicos Ghookas Karnesi writes a letter to Tsar Paul the First, asking for help.
- 1885 Mkrtich Portoogalyan publishes the "Armenie" newspaper in Marseilles (France). It lasts till 1923.
- 1885 M. Portoogalian publishes the "Armenia" weekly in Marseilles (France).
- 1891 Death of writer Garegin Beshgyeotyoorian ("Sring").
- 1914 Secret military treaty is signed between Germany and Turkey in Constantinople.
- 1928 Birth of Minas Avetissyan (artist). He was murdered by the Soviet Police in 1975.
- 1955 Death of Galoost Qelpenjian.
- 1965 Death of Armen Armenian. He was born in 1871.