FORUM OF ARMENIAN ASSOCIATIONS OF EUROPE FILES LAWSUIT AGAINST TURKISH AMBASSADOR TO SLOVAKIA
- The Forum of Armenian Associations of Europe (FAAE) filed a lawsuit against the Turkish Ambassador to Slovakia Gulhan Ulutekin, a message sent to Armenian News-NEWS.am from the Forum states.
The chairman of FAAE and the Armenian Community in Slovakia Ashot Grigoryan filed the lawsuit to the Attorney General of Slovakia. The lawsuit was made by the lawyers of FAAE, based on the publication of Ambassador Ulutekin in the Slovakian Tyzden paper in May.
"Recognizing the events of 1915 as genocide is a serious and at the same time doubtful move. Genocide is a serious concept and any statements about it require a complete and thorough evaluation, based on reliable sources and scientific researches, also the principles of international jurisprudence," Gultekin had stated.
Slovakia recognized the Armenian Genocide as crime against humanity in 2004. The denial of the Armenian Genocide is punished by 5 years imprisonment in Slovakia.
- 1845 Sultan Abdul Megid orders the Pasha of Soor to enter Western Armenia with an army. The goal was to take away the semi-autonomy of the Armenians.
- 1874 Hambardzoom Balassanyan starts the "Love of Fatherland" organization in Karakilissa (Vanadzor).
- 1890 Fighting between Turkish forces and the civilian population of Armenians in Kareen (Erzroom, Western Armenia) took place.
- 1911 Death of Ghazaros Aghayan (educator and writer) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1840.
- 1939 Creation of the Armenian SSR's People's Commissariats for Automobile Transportation, Meat, and Dairy industries.
- 1943 Death of Arus Voskanyan (actress) in Yerevan. She was born in 1889.