FIVE ARMENIAN MEN CHARGED WITH IDENTITY THEFT IN LA
- Five Armenian men were charged with identity theft in Los Angeles for allegedly using re-encoded credit cards to buy and resell gas for profit.
The men — Norik Tergalstanyan, 45, Arman Karapetyan, 24, Andranik Tashchyan, 57, Allen Babakhanian, 19, and 48-year-old Ruben Petrosyan — used identity data of 13 victims from Washington state, Glendale News-Press reports.
Police claimed they were using credit cards openly not fearing the punishment. The men were selling the re-encoded cards for about $2,500 to truck drivers.
All five men pleaded not guilty, the hearings are scheduled for June 26.
NORMALIZATION OF ARMENIAN-TURKISH RELATIONS WILL POSITIVELY IMPACT REGION - US ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF STATE
- 1795 Birth of Alexander Griboedov (Russian ambassador to Persia). He worked for the return of Armenians from Persia to Armenia. He died in 1829.
- 1870 The Tsar publishes the statutes on towns.
- 1895 Start of the first defence of Van (until June 20).
- 1915 Ambassador Morgenthau explicitly described to the United States Department of State the policy of the Young Turk government as a campaign of "race extermination", and was instructed, by United States Secretary of State Robert Lansing, that the "Department approves your procedure ... to stop Armenian persecution".