SHOOTING IN ARMENIAN VILLAGE
- Shots were fired on Friday in Arzni village of Armenia's Kotayk Region. A burst of machine-gun fire was heard, Armenian News-NEWS.am has informed.
According to eyewitnesses, a villager by the name of Stepan, who is 40-45 years old, argued with a neighbor and subsequently fired machine-gun shots in anger. Fortunately, he fired the shots in the air and therefore no one was injured.
The police officers, who arrived at the scene, discovered five loaded automatic weapon cartridges and a light-signaled missile from the home of Stepan S. The weapon is confiscated and Stepan is detained.
An investigation is underway.
NORMALIZATION OF ARMENIAN-TURKISH RELATIONS WILL POSITIVELY IMPACT REGION - US ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF STATE
- 1795 Birth of Alexander Griboedov (Russian ambassador to Persia). He worked for the return of Armenians from Persia to Armenia. He died in 1829.
- 1870 The Tsar publishes the statutes on towns.
- 1895 Start of the first defence of Van (until June 20).
- 1915 Ambassador Morgenthau explicitly described to the United States Department of State the policy of the Young Turk government as a campaign of "race extermination", and was instructed, by United States Secretary of State Robert Lansing, that the "Department approves your procedure ... to stop Armenian persecution".