FORMER YEREVAN MAYOR, MP DISCUSS DOMESTIC POLITICS - NEWSPAPER
- YEREVAN. - Armenian capital city Yerevan's former Mayor Karen Karapetyan and his MP namesake, a.k.a. Karen of Tashir, met recently, Chorrord Inknishkhanutyun daily writes.
"And following their meeting, the two Karapetyans' circles say the former officials conversed about the current Armenia-Russia ties, Armenia's domestic political state of affairs, and the personnel appointments.
They say [Mayor] Karapetyan sincerely told his old friend that, in reality, working as Mayor was inexpedient for him, because now he has gone to better job.
And Karen of Tashir noted that Prime Ministerial ambitions are passé for him, since 'the good times are in the past.'
In addition, the former Mayor said: 'You can launch and carry out anything in Armenia, but assuming an important office—and for a long time, in that—is a somewhat complicated matter,'" Chorrord Inknishkhanutyun writes.
NORMALIZATION OF ARMENIAN-TURKISH RELATIONS WILL POSITIVELY IMPACT REGION - US ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF STATE
- 1795 Birth of Alexander Griboedov (Russian ambassador to Persia). He worked for the return of Armenians from Persia to Armenia. He died in 1829.
- 1870 The Tsar publishes the statutes on towns.
- 1895 Start of the first defence of Van (until June 20).
- 1915 Ambassador Morgenthau explicitly described to the United States Department of State the policy of the Young Turk government as a campaign of "race extermination", and was instructed, by United States Secretary of State Robert Lansing, that the "Department approves your procedure ... to stop Armenian persecution".