GENOCIDE DISCUSSIONS IN KNESSET PROMOTE FOR RECOGNITION OF CRIMES AGAINST ARMENIANS
- Time chosen for discussions over the Armenian Genocide in the Knesset is not linked to events or Israel-Turkey relations, Merets MP Zahava Galon told Armenian News-NEWS.am. Discussions on the topic are held on her initiative.
"The party raises the issue every year prior to the April 24 [the Remembrance Day of Armenian Genocide victims] based on moral values. This year was not an exception. It is a matter of values, which should not be linked to foreign policy or influence on the foreign deals," she said adding continuous discussions and debates in the Knesset promote the recognition of the crimes perpetrated against Armenians.
To note, the parliament speaker stated on Tuesday during the hearings on Genocide in the Ottoman Turkey that Israel is obliged to remember killings of more than a million Armenians.
- 0 Commencement to those deported by Stalin.
- 1722 Birth of Sayat-Nova (troubadour). He died in 1795.
- 1828 Start of the Russian-Turkish War in the Caucasus.
- 1878 Mutual Defense Treaty between England and Turkey.
- 1968 Death of Rooben Darbinian, publicist and the editor of the "Hayrenik" periodical of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation Party.
- 1974 Ceremonial opening of Griboedov's monument in Yerevan.
- 1993 The Chairman of the Minsk Group proposes the Timetable of Urgent Steps to solve the Artsakh crisis.