FORMER ARMENIAN FM INVITED FOR INTERROGATION BY SECRET SERVICE
- YEREVAN. - Prosperous Armenia Party (PAP) MP, former FM Vartan Oskanian was invited by the Armenian National Security Service for interrogation as a witness. He released a statement on this connection.
"I was invited as a witness to give testimonies within the criminal case instigated on legalizing financial means, which were received illegally. It referred to me and the Civilitas foundation set up by me. The foundation was financed by number of international organizations, corporations and individuals, and it functioned legally. It is just impossible that law enforcing agencies knew nothing about it. It is surprising that the foundation can be linked to criminal operations and, even more surprising, that it is touched upon just when I am engaged in politics. It is obvious that the criminal case instigation is a political order," his statement reads.
To note, Oskanian ceased leading Civilitas to join the PAP.
- 1920 The Russian Communist Party's Armenian wing is recreated as the Communist (Bolshevik) Party of Armenia with its Central Committee and Foreign Bureau.
- 1935 The Institute of History and Literature was created within the People's Commissariat of Education.
- 1942 Death of Professor Ashkharhabek Qalantarian (Lorees Qalantar), armenologist, archeologist, and historian.
- 1997 Start of the Genocide Scholar's Conference at Concordia University (Montreal). It adopted a resolution that the large-scale murder that took place in Turkey in 1915 was a Genocide, which conforms to the UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of Genocide.