AZERBAIJAN PREPARES FOR WAR IN 2014 - ARMENIAN POLITICAL SCIENTIST
- YEREVAN. - Azerbaijan has a new military plan: to prepare for war in 2014, Regional Studies Center Director, political analyst Richard Giragosian stated during a press conference on Monday.
In his words, Azerbaijan is not yet ready for a war but the preparations are in progress, and this will be a threat and a deadline toward the developments concerning Nagorno-Karabakh.
"I do not think this would actually work, but it is what they are doing at present," noted Giragosian.
And to the query as to why the year 2014 in particular, the political scientist responded:
"That is the 20th anniversary of the signing of the cease-fire agreement. Also at that time Azerbaijan will sense the danger of depletion of the oil resources. And the third reason is connected with the Olympic Games to be held in Sochi [, Russia,] which would mean Russia will be distracted and it will not react."
Photo by Sona Barseghyan
- 1920 The Russian Communist Party's Armenian wing is recreated as the Communist (Bolshevik) Party of Armenia with its Central Committee and Foreign Bureau.
- 1935 The Institute of History and Literature was created within the People's Commissariat of Education.
- 1942 Death of Professor Ashkharhabek Qalantarian (Lorees Qalantar), armenologist, archeologist, and historian.
- 1997 Start of the Genocide Scholar's Conference at Concordia University (Montreal). It adopted a resolution that the large-scale murder that took place in Turkey in 1915 was a Genocide, which conforms to the UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of Genocide.