STEPANAKERT AIRPORT TO FINALLY START OPERATIONS - NEWSPAPER
- YEREVAN. - The airport of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (NKR) capital, Stepanakert, finally will be put into service this summer. NKR Civil Aviation Department Chief of Staff Tigran Gabrielyan informed this on Tuesday, Haykakan Zhamanak daily writes.
"In his words, initially a daily flight will be carried out in the Yerevan-Stepanakert-Yerevan direction. Subsequently, several daily flights will be conducted.
The Stepanakert Airport was to be put to service on May 9, 2011. At that time [Armenia's President] Serzh Sargsyan had stated that he will be the first passenger of the first Yerevan-Stepanakert-Yerevan flight. But the Airport's operation was postponed several times for technical reasons.
According to some information, the cause for the postponement was the Azerbaijani Civil Aviation Department's threat that the aircrafts conducting flights to Stepanakert will be destroyed," Haykakan Zhamanak writes.
- 1807 Yusuf zia Pasha (Turkish "seraskyar") attacks Gyoomree with 10000 soldiers.
- 1878 Signature in London of the British-Russian agreement to change the San-Stefano treaty.
- 1913 End of the First Balkan War, which lasted for about seven months. Andranik leads an Armenian detachment.
- 1915 The Turkish government approves the Temporary Deportation Law" that was already being implemented.
- 1927 Death of Atrpet (Sargis Moobayajyan), Armenian writer, public figure and author of "Tjvjeek" - a classic short story - as well as "Javaheer", "Khev" among others.
- 1953 Without consulting the Armenians, the USSR relinquishes claims to the (Western) Armenian territories occupied by Turkey.
- 1964 The Armenian Literature and Art week starts in Tallin (Estonia).