THE DAY OF THE FIRST REPUBLIC IS IMPORTANT FOR ARMENIA - EXPERT
- YEREVAN. - The Day of the First Republic which is annually celebrated on May 28 is very important for modern Armenia, Turkish studies expert, senior researcher of the Armenian National Academy of Sciences Institute of Oriental Studies Vahram Ter-Matevosyan told Armenian News-NEWS.am.
According to him, despite the relatively modest success, from a strict military point of view, during the May battles of 1918 the spirit of unity of the Armenian people was strengthened.
"For many nations of the world statehood is just a dream, but we have it. For the first time in many centuries, after being under the oppression of various invaders, Armenia gained independence: the Armenian Nation established its Republic. It was then that the cohesion of the Armenians allowed stopping the advance of the Turks, to achieve their goals," the expert mentioned.
According to Vahram Ter-Matevosyan, the Day of the First Republic must be celebrated in a more solemn way.
To note, on May 28 the Day of the First Republic is celebrated in Armenia. On May 28, 1918, a republic was established in Armenia.
- 1877 Russian forces enter Alashkert.
- 1878 Death of Ghookas Paltazarian, the editor of "Arshalooyss Araratian" periodical in Smyrna. He had published his newspaper for 38 years.
- 1905 Death of the armenologist Karapet Ezyan in St. Petersburg (Russia). He was born in 1835.
- 1918 Proclamation of Armenia's (First Republic) Independence after the defeat of the advancing Turkish Army by Armenian forces.
- 1928 Establishment of the Armenian "Pan-National" educational and publishing organization in Cairo, Egypt. It is associated with the Armenian Revolutionary Federation party.
- 1963 Agarak's copper-molybdenum plant starts production.
- 1967 Death of Sos-Van, writer and famous publicist. He was born in 1895.
- 2000 The remains of Drastamat Kanayan (Dro) are moved from Boston to Armenia and placed on the grounds of the Monument at Aparan. The Monument commemorates the victory of the Armenian forces, led by Dro, over the aggressing Turkish forces in May, 1918.