ARMENIA'S PM RESPONDS TO FORMER FM
- YEREVAN. - During the Armenian Cabinet's session on Thursday, PM Tigran Sargsyan responded very harshly to former FM and Prosperous Armenia Party member Vartan Oskanian's pre-election campaign criticisms, according to which the Central Bank and the Government are not coordinating their activities very effectively.
"These evaluations are much uninformed, and they are not consistent with our laws and the international track-record alike," Sargsyan said.
In his words, the Central Bank's key objective is to restrain inflation, whereas the Government's key objective is to put emphasis on economic growth. Consequently, these two different objectives cause a dispute between the Bank and the Government.
"These are groundless criticisms. People simply do not understand what it means to coordinate monetary and fiscal policies," Armenia's PM stated.
- 1YEREVAN. - With the proposal by Defense Minister Seyran Ohanyan, the Government of Armenia on Thursday extended for five years Hayk-Mek Company's license to produce weapons. The Company's license was ...
- 1827 Departure of the First Armenian Voluntary Brigade from Tbilissi for the front.
- 1851 Greegor Otyan (in Scutaree) founded the "Subscription Company". In his "Arshalooys Araratian" periodical's supplement he encouraged people to establish a boarding school for the free education of the poor.
- 1871 Birth of Nikoghos Adonts (armenologist) in Brnakot, Sisian province. He died in 1943.
- 1978 Death of Armin Wegener (soldier, humanitarian). As a German soldier in the Near East, he surreptitiously photographed scenes of the 1915 Armenian Genocide as it was being implemented by the Turks. He unsuccessfully tried to warn governments of possible future genocides. He was born in 1886.