ELDR WELCOMES ARMENIA'S PROGRESS ON ESTABLISHING OPEN, TRANSPARENT AND DEMOCRATIC SOCIETY
- YEREVAN. - The European Liberal Democrat and Reform party (ELDR) welcomes progress in Armenia on establishing open, transparent and democratic society, the ELDR head Graham Watson said at a press conference on Friday in Yerevan.
He said that the party members visited Armenia within the context of the recent elections. For the Liberals, formation of the EU is a project of enlargement and securing freedom everywhere.
In addition, the party believes to see Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan in this category of states. Besides, he added that Armenia is able to move forward quicker than now and the Armenians are quite capable of establishing full democratic society.
Regarding the recent parliamentary elections in Armenia, the European expert said that it was a progress. However, there is still much to do. "Disappearing stamps in passports, 102% voter turnout is concerning," he said.
Watson said they visited Armenia at the invitation of Armenian National Movement.
"We gladly received an invitation to visit Armenia - one of the most beautiful European countries," he emphasized.
- 330 Emperor Constantine the First moves his capital from Rome to Byzantium, which was renamed Constantinople in his honor.
- 1895 Sultan Abdul Hamid the Second proclaims the reforms for Western Armenia. He signed them, under pressure, on 1895 10 18. In any case, they were never implemented.
- 1917 The Caucasian Assembly of Armenian teachers first meets in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1918 Start of the Batoom Conference between Turkish and Armenian government representatives. The Armenian side was represented by A. Khateessyan, H. Qatjaznoonee, and S. Vratsian.