ARMENIAN PM CONGRATULATES RUSSIAN COUNTERPART ON ASSUMING OFFICE
- YEREVAN. - Armenia's Prime Minister Tigran Sargsyan addressed a congratulatory message to Dmitry Medvedev on his appointment as PM of the Russian Federation.
"Your designation is the testimony of your considerable contribution to the growth of the country's [i.e., Russia's] economy, strengthening of the latter's security in the international arena, and the raising of its standing.
Also, I would like to warmly congratulate you and the Russian people in connection with the May 9 Victory Day [over fascism in World War II].
We express our readiness to continue our efforts to consolidate the strategic partnership and deepen the economic cooperation between our countries, and to secure the progress of the integration processes in the post-Soviet region," Armenian PM's message reads in particular
- 1804 Mamed Khan of Yerevan, knowing of the Russian force's progress, orders the migration (for the duration of the war) of about 20000 Armenians from the Khanate of Yerevan to Ghars.
- 1810 Birth of Gabriel Aivazovski in Feodosia (Ukraine). He died in 1880 in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1838 Birth of Viscount James Bryce (statesman). He served under Prime Minister William Gladstone. He was a founder of the League of Nations. He wrote on jurisprudence and political science. He vociferously condemned the Armenian Genocide by the Turkish government. He died in 1922.
- 1848 The Lazaryan College (Moscow) becomes the Institute of Western Languages.
- 1855 The Sultan orders, for the first time, the draft for the Christians in Turkey. The order was ineffective.
- 1920 Armenia's Revolutionary Military Committee in Alexandropol and proclaims the establishment of Soviet power in Armenia.
- 1923 Birth of Heydar Aliev, First Secretary of the Communist Party in Azerbaijan, Head of the Azeri Turk subdivision of the Soviet KGB, Member of the USSR Politbureau, and Head of Atheistic Propaganda under the Soviet regime. Committed Genocide against the Armenians of Nakhitshevan and Artsakh. Took over the presidency of Azerbaijan in 1993.
- 1941 The Ten-day Festival of Armenian Literature starts in Moscow (Russia).
- 1943 Garegeen the First (Hovsepyants) is anointed Catholicos of Cilicia in Antilias' Cathedral.