ARMENIAN PREMIER AND SPEAKER VISIT BALLOON BLAST SUFFERERS
- YEREVAN.- Armenian Premier Samvel Nikoyan and Speaker Samvel Nikoyan visited on Wednesday the hospital where Yerevan balloon blast sufferers are receiving treatment.
Premier talked to the patients wishing them quick recovery. Speaker Nikoyan said that their lives are not endangered and patients would be discharged from hospital in the near future.
In Yerevan's hospitals there are still 10 people injured in the blast in Republic Square.
As Armenian News-NEWS.am informed earlier, a tragedy occurred during the Republican Party of Armenia's rally and concert held at capital Yerevan's Republic Square on May 4. Hundreds of balloons filled with gas exploded and started to burn. Subsequently, the balloons' melted rubber fell on the event participants. Those near the stage were affected the most, and a total of 154 people were injured. Police are holding an investigation.
- 1847 Summit Meeting of the representatives of the Transcaucasian Armenian community.
- 1847 With the participation of the gentry and commoners, the National, Ecclesiastic, and Supreme Council is created in Constantinople. It is the first step towards the creation of the "Constitution".
- 1859 A Committee, consisting of 5 clergymen and 14 laymen, is struck in Constantinople to write the "Constitution". The Chariman was Rusinian.
- 1945 End of World War Two (known as the "Great Patriotic War" in the USSR).
- 1964 Death of Vahan Totomyants, professor and public figure.
- 1992 Shooshee (Artsakh) is liberated after 71 years of occupation by Azeri Turks.
- 1994 Protocol negotiated in the Artsakh War and signed in Bishkek (Kirgizstan) by the parliamentary speakers of Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Artsakh as mediated by Presidents Boris Yeltsin of Russia and Nursultan Nazarbayev of Kazakhstan. This was the first recognition of Artsakhs distinctiveness as a political and territorial entity in the negotiations. Azerbaijan occupied 750 sq. km. (15%) of Artsakhs territory, while Artsakh occupied 7059 sq. km. (8%) of territory considered to have traditionally been possessed by Azerbaijan.