FAMOUS ARMENIAN SINGER TO PERFORM IN TURKEY
- YEREVAN. - Armenia's renowned recording artist Nune Yesayan will head to Turkey to take part in a May 11 benefit concert organized by the Istanbul Armenian community. The singer herself told this to Armenian News-NEWS.am. She noted that it will be her solo concert and the Armenian community had invited her with the objective of helping out a local Armenian school.
To the question as to why she agreed to go to Turkey and whether she has any fears, she responded: "Why should I not have agreed? The Armenian community invited me and I am going for them. I have no fears. The Armenians will meet me; we will be with the Armenians. They are not savages; what are they supposed to do?"
Incidentally, Nune Yesayan is heading to Turkey on a concert for the first time. She had received an earlier invitation from Hrant Dink—the founder and former chief editor of Istanbul's Agos Armenian bilingual weekly, who was gunned down in 2007 in front of his office building—; they had "talked, but it was left incomplete." Yesayan also noted that she is happy to be going to the concert and she will definitely visit Dink's grave.
- 0 Armenian National Media Day.
- 1877 Russian forces, led by General Loris-Melikov, occupy Ardahan (Western Armenia).
- 1892 Khreemyan Hayreek is elected Catholicos of All Armenians.
- 1912 Death of Yeprem Khan, one of the leaders of the Persian emancipation movement and unsurpassed militant of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation party. He was born in 1868.
- 1912 "Pravda" (Bolshevik paper) starts publication.
- 1920 The government of Khatissyan falls. President Ohanjanyan organizes a new government with special powers.
- 1920 The Armenian Revolutionary Federation party seized power in a struggle against Bolshevik and Azeri Turkish forces. It replaced Khateessyan's government with Ohanjanyan's.
- 1923 The first number of the "Avangard" newspaper (Official Organ of the Central Committee of the Leninist Youth League of the Soviet Union) is published.
- 1972 Death of Martiros Saryan (artist). He was born in 1880.
- 1999 Portugal, Indonesia, and the United Nations enter into the East Timor Popular Consultation Agreement Regarding Security and the Agreement Regarding the Modalities for the Popular Consultation of the East Timorese Through a Direct Ballot. Some aspects of these Agreements may be significant in the process of finding a resolution to the Artsakh crisis.