$4.5 MILLION MEDICINE DONATION ARRIVES IN ARMENIA
- YEREVAN. - Two containers of medicine valued at $4.5 million arrived in Armenia on April 27 as part of the United States Government's humanitarian assistance program.
After clearing customs, the medicines were delivered to our U.S. partner organization, International Relief and Development (IRD), for distribution. For almost twelve years, IRD has been working with local clinics around Armenia to provide free medicine to society's most vulnerable, including the elderly and children. This particular shipment, all of which was donated free of charge by U.S. companies, was one of the largest in the twenty year history of the program and included high demand medications to control hypertension and diabetes, among other conditions.
The U.S. Government has provided humanitarian assistance to Armenia and the region since 1992. It takes many forms, including donated commodities and medicines, food assistance, and small reconstruction projects. To date, humanitarian assistance valued at over $410 million has been directed to Armenia.
- 1YEREVAN. - On the invitation of Iran's FM Ali Akbar Salehi, Armenian Foreign Affairs Minister Edward Nalbandian arrived in Tehran Sunday on an official visit. And he was received by the Iranian President ...
- 1901 Death of Srapion Tolian (Sipili Yessayi), playwright, critic, and teacher of P. Doorian.
- 1915 Death of Sargees Barseghian (Vana Sargees), of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation Party. He was born in 1875.
- 1927 Opening of Yerevan's carbide factory.
- 1941 Death of Panos Terlemezyan (artist) in Yerevan. He was born in 1865.
- 1947 The International Armenian Congress takes place in the USA.
- 1981 The United States Holocaust Memorial Council, an independent Federal agency, unanimously resolved that the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum would include the Armenian Genocide in the Museum and has since done so.
- 1991 Soviet and Azeri Turkish forces start "Operation Circle" in Getashen and Martakert.
- 1993 The UN Security Council, at its 3205th meeting, adopts resolution 822.