NEW TIMES PARTY CALLS NOT TO VOTE FOR RULING COALITION MEMBERS
- YEREVAN.- Armenian New Times Party held a meeting on Sunday to discuss the upcoming parliamentary elections scheduled for May 6 in Armenia.
The party members reiterated their call to participate in the parliamentary elections urging the citizens not to vote for the members of the ruling coalition - Republican Party, Prosperous Armenia and Orinats Yerkir.
The New Times Party is not participating in the race.
Eight political parties and one block have presented their nominations - Republican Party of Armenian, Prosperous Armenia Party, Orinats Yerkir, opposition Armenian National Congress, opposition Heritage Party, ARF Dashnaktsutyun, the Communist Party of Armenia, Democratic Party of Armenia and United Armenians Party.
For entering the National Assembly, parties must poll over 5% of votes, while blocks - over 7%.
The election campaign will be held till May 5 - the day prior to elections when campaigning is banned. The parliamentary elections will be held from 8 am to 8 pm on May 6, 2012.
- 1YEREVAN. - On the invitation of Iran's FM Ali Akbar Salehi, Armenian Foreign Affairs Minister Edward Nalbandian arrived in Tehran Sunday on an official visit. And he was received by the Iranian President ...
- 1901 Death of Srapion Tolian (Sipili Yessayi), playwright, critic, and teacher of P. Doorian.
- 1915 Death of Sargees Barseghian (Vana Sargees), of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation Party. He was born in 1875.
- 1927 Opening of Yerevan's carbide factory.
- 1941 Death of Panos Terlemezyan (artist) in Yerevan. He was born in 1865.
- 1947 The International Armenian Congress takes place in the USA.
- 1981 The United States Holocaust Memorial Council, an independent Federal agency, unanimously resolved that the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum would include the Armenian Genocide in the Museum and has since done so.
- 1991 Soviet and Azeri Turkish forces start "Operation Circle" in Getashen and Martakert.
- 1993 The UN Security Council, at its 3205th meeting, adopts resolution 822.