KIM KARDASHIAN FAILS TO VISIT ARMENIAN GENOCIDE COMMEMORATION EVENT, SENDS VIDEO ADDRESS
- A series of events dedicated to the 97th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide was held in Los Angeles on Tuesday.
Armenians and guests not only visited Montebello monument but also participated in a city-sponsored event commemorating the 97th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide held in Glendale's Alex Theatre.
Missing from the audience, though, was Kim Kardashian, who was personally invited by Councilman Ara Najarian last week after news circulated that she planned to take the Glendale mayoral seat within five years, Glendale News-Press writes.
Najarian said Kardashian sent her regrets and created a video to present during the event.
Congressman Adam Schiff was also present and addressed the participants. He flew in from Washington to attend several genocide commemoration events, including a march throughout Hollywood that flooded the streets with thousands of people and clogged traffic for hours.
Adam Schiff along with other speakers said he was upset that Obama did not use the word "genocide" in his annual April 24 address.
- 1828 Griboedov is appointed Russian ambassador in Persia.
- 1888 Death of novelist Raffi (Hakob Melik-Hakobyan) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1835.
- 1918 The Turkish army re-occupies Ghars (Western Armenia).
- 1918 Stepan Shahoomyan creates and leads the Council of People's Commissars in Baku.
- 1959 Death of painter Hakob Kodjoyan. He was born in 1883.
- 1990 The Greek Parliament approves a law designating April 24 as Remembrance Day of the Armenian victims of the Genocide perpetrated by Turkey.