MURDER AT ARMENIA'S GAVAR CITY
- YEREVAN. - A murder was committed in Armenia's Gavar city on Monday at midnight.
As sources at Gavar told Armenian News-NEWS.am, Vigen Sahakyan, 28, and Shahen Chandoyan, 26, tried to receive a loan of items from the shop assistant Arman Hovsepyan, 59, in the evening. But Hovsepyan refused to give the items as loan. The young men continued with their demand and even started to argue with the shop assistant.
The argument was followed by a beating, and the youth severely beat Hovsepyan. Then the latter entered the shop, brought a sausage cutting knife, and stabbed the young men. As a result, Shahen Chandoyan sustained stab wounds and was taken to hospital, whereas Vigen Sahakyan's life could not be saved.
And Police Press Service informed Armenian News-NEWS.am that a criminal case is opened on murder charges.
Arman Hovsepyan is detained, and an investigation is launched.
- 1879 Death of Chamik Aramyan (publisher) in Constantinople. He was born in 1820.
- 1904 Birth of Hrant G. Pastrmajian. He died in 1954.
- 1922 Aram Yerkanian and Arshavir Shirakian executed Behaeddin Shakir, the leader of the "special forces" and Jemal Azmi, former Governor of Trabizond, in Berlin. Both were active in implementing the 1915 Armenian Genocide.
- 1957 Twinning of Kirovakan (Vanadzor) and Batumi (Georgia).
- 1990 An International Scholars' Meeting titled: "The Armenian Genocide: History, Theory, Political Responsibility" and devoted to 75th Anniversary of the Armenian's Genocide, takes place in Yerevan. It lasts to April 21.
- 1997 The Legislative Assembly of New South Wales (Australia) adopts a decision to commemorate April 24 as a Memorial Day of the Armenian Genocide. It suggests to the Federal Australian Government to adopt a similar decision.