ARMENIAN ELECTORAL COMMISSION TO DISCUSS CANDIDATES' WITHDRAWALS
- YEREVAN. - Armenian Central Electoral Commission will discuss new withdrawals of the MP candidates during its extraordinary session on Saturday.
Four candidates presented withdrawal applications, one of them was nominated by the proportional system, other three were majority system candidates.
Head of the Clinical Pharmacology Department at Yerevan Medical Institute, Professor Narine Mirzoyan announced about her withdrawal. She was nominated in the proportional list of the Republican Party of Armenia.
Narine Mirzoyan is the wife of opposition member Tigran Khzmalyan.
The majority system candidates from election districts 11, 35 and 38 announced about their withdrawal.
Eight political parties and one block have presented their nominations - Republican Party of Armenian, Prosperous Armenia Party, Orinats Yerkir, opposition Armenian National Congress, opposition Heritage Party, ARF Dashnaktsutyun, the Communist Party of Armenia, Democratic Party of Armenia and United Armenians Party.
For entering the National Assembly, parties must poll over 5% of votes, while blocks - over 7%.
The election campaign will be held till May 5 - the day prior to elections when campaigning is banned. The parliamentary elections will be held from 8 am to 8 pm on May 6, 2012.
- 1828 Tsar Nicholas the First declares war against Turkey.
- 1860 Birth of the historian Leo (Arakel Babakhyan) in Shooshee. He died in 1932.
- 1864 Birth of Hovhannes Hovhannisyan (poet). He died in 1929.
- 1909 Sultan Abdul Hamid the Second is overthrown and power is seized by the Young Turks.
- 1921 Lenin sends his missive to the communists of Azerbajan, Georgia, Armenia, Daghstan, and the Republic of the Mountain Peoples.
- 1978 The Armenian SSR's Supreme Soviet confirms the Armenian constitution.
- 1990 The Russian Council adopts an announcement condemning the Armenian Genocide of 1915-1922.