FAMOUS OPERA SINGER LILI CHOOKASIAN PASSES AWAY
- Famous opera singer Lili Chookasian, Armenian by origin, passed away at the age of 90 in U.S.
She was singing in the Metropolitan Opera for a quarter-century and had 290 appearances from 1962 to 1986, New York Times writes.
She was a soloist with many of the world's leading orchestras and was among the most famous contraltos in the world in the 1960s.
Lili Chookasian was born in the family of Armenian migrants in Chicago in 1921, debuted in Metropolitan Opera in 1962.
- 531 The Persian army defeats the Byzantine forces.
- 1386 Tamerlane occupies Tabriz (Iran) then conquers the Armenian provinces of Syooneek, Ararat, and Nakhitchevan. Fort Yerngak is besieged.
- 1800 Birth of Karapet Papazyan (composer and conductor).
- 1827 Russian forces enter Echmiadsin.
- 1866 Birth of Vrtanes Papazyan (writer) in Van (Western Armenia). He died in 1920 in Yerevan.
- 1889 Death of Gabriel Patkanyan (historian, public figure) in St. Petersburg (Russia). He was born in 1802.
- 1917 Death of Alexander Tsatoorian, writer and translator.
- 1918 A telegram of complaint is sent by the Soviet Russian government concerning the advance of the Turkish army in Transcaucasia and the atrocities committed against civilians.
- 1920 Start of Dro's 45-day campaign in Artsakh.
- 1942 The Armenian 408th Artillery Division was formed in Armenia.
- 1984 The People's Permanent Tribunal's Special Meeting takes place in Paris from April 13 to16. It discusses the Question of the Armenian Genocide. A decision is taken to condemn the Armenian Genocide .