1982 POLLING STATIONS IN 41 ELECTORAL DISTRICTS FORMED IN ARMENIA
- YEREVAN.- The electoral commissions of polling stations throughout Armenia will convene their first sessions on Saturday.
A total of 1982 polling stations in 41 electoral districts have been formed.
Armenian's Central Electoral Commission stopped accepting nominations of parties and blocs for the upcoming parliamentary elections in Armenia at 6 pm on March 22.
Eight political parties and one block have presented their nominations - Republican Party of Armenian, Prosperous Armenia Party, Orinats Yerkir (Rule of Law), opposition Armenian National Congress, opposition Heritage Party, ARF Dashnaktsutyun, the Communist Party of Armenia, Democratic Party of Armenia and United Armenians Party.
For entering the National Assembly, parties must poll over 5% of votes, while blocks - over 7%.
The election campaign will be held till May 5 - the day prior to elections when campaigning is banned. The parliamentary elections will be held from 8 am to 8 pm on May 6, 2012.
- 531 The Persian army defeats the Byzantine forces.
- 1386 Tamerlane occupies Tabriz (Iran) then conquers the Armenian provinces of Syooneek, Ararat, and Nakhitchevan. Fort Yerngak is besieged.
- 1800 Birth of Karapet Papazyan (composer and conductor).
- 1827 Russian forces enter Echmiadsin.
- 1866 Birth of Vrtanes Papazyan (writer) in Van (Western Armenia). He died in 1920 in Yerevan.
- 1889 Death of Gabriel Patkanyan (historian, public figure) in St. Petersburg (Russia). He was born in 1802.
- 1917 Death of Alexander Tsatoorian, writer and translator.
- 1918 A telegram of complaint is sent by the Soviet Russian government concerning the advance of the Turkish army in Transcaucasia and the atrocities committed against civilians.
- 1920 Start of Dro's 45-day campaign in Artsakh.
- 1942 The Armenian 408th Artillery Division was formed in Armenia.
- 1984 The People's Permanent Tribunal's Special Meeting takes place in Paris from April 13 to16. It discusses the Question of the Armenian Genocide. A decision is taken to condemn the Armenian Genocide .