ARMENIAN CHURCH IN TURKEY BECOMES WORKSHOP
- After its restoration, the 142-year-old Armenian Protestant church in Turkey's Diyarbakir Province has been turned into a workshop.
The Armenian church, which was restored by Turkey's Directorate General of Foundations, began functioning as Women's Education Center, Vatan daily of Turkey informs. At the Center, young girls and women learn silversmithery and silk-making.
This program's director, Bilgin Yigit, noted they are attempting to re-establish the arts and crafts of the Armenians and Syriacs who had left Diyarbakir.
- 1840 Birth of Ghazaros Aghayan, (educator, public figure) in the village of Bolnis-Khachen. He died in 1911.
- 1882 Birth of Kamo (Bolshevik revolutionary figure) - Simon Ter-Petrosyan. He was murdered on 1922 07 13.
- 1905 Strike by the railway workers of Alexandropol (now Gyoomree).
- 1919 Death of satirist Harootyoon Alpiar. He was born in 1864.