ASSYRIANS AWARD TURKISH LAWYER PUBLISHING BOOKS ON ARMENIAN GENOCIDE
- Turkish famous lawyer and head of the Belge publishing house Ragip Zarakolu, currently in prison, was granted the Assyrian Cultural Reward by the Assyrian Culture Centre in Stockholm, Sweden.
The awarding ceremony took place on Tuesday, Suriyaniler.com reports.
Zarakolu was arrested for allegedly being a member of KCK (Kurdish PKK institution). The court demands 10 years of imprisonment accusing him of 'being a member of a terrorist organization'.
The Belge house has published numerous books on the Armenian Genocide, while Zarakolu visited Armenia last February.
- 554 The Ecclesiastic Assembly in Dvin condemns the Chalcedonian Creed and irrevocably breaks off its relations with the Byzantine "Universal" Church.
- 1001 The architect Trdat, finished the construction of the Main Church of Ani.
- 1592 Birth of Nahapet Koochak. He was Armenia's first troubadour.
- 1827 The first Armenian voluntary brigade was formed in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1899 Birth of benefactor Calouste Gulbenkian in Constantinople. He was a Petroleum Engineer. He founded the Petroleum Benevolent Union in Turkey. In 1930, he was voted President of the Armenian General Benevolent Union. Calouste Gulbenkian died in July 1955 in Lisbon.
- 1912 Death of Gabriel Soondookyan (playwright) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1825.
- 1914 The Armenian History and Archeology Association is created in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1918 Birth of Charles Hrach Papaz, Armenian-American radiophysicist, member of the American Physics and Mathematics Associations and the Electronic Engineers Institute. He is an overseas member of the Armenian National Academy of Science.
- 1921 The first Armenian Art House opened in Tbilissi. It was called after the great writer, Vahan Terian. The president was another great writer, Hovhannes Toomanian.
- 1971 Death of famous actor of the roles of Zimzimov, Iago and Nazar the Brave, Avet Avetisian (Voskanyan).
- 1992 Azeri Turk forces attack Stepanakert from Shooshee, Ghaybalu, Janhasan and Kiosalar. They are defeated and thrown back.