CUTTING TREES CONTINUED LAST YEAR IN ARMENIA - OMBUDSMAN
- YEREVAN. - Armenian Ombudsman Karen Andreasyan gives assessment for the activity of the Armenian Ministry of Natural Protection over last year.
"Registered faults in the activity of the Ministry are as follows: elimination of the green areas, especially forests, continued in the territory of Armenia. Cases of illegal tree cutting were registered as well, while the Ministry did not record them. Another concerning issue is the continuous growth of rubbish and tailing dumps of the mines.
Along with faults the Ministry has recorded positive developments as well, including maintenance of the Lake Sevan level, its stable raising as well as establishment of public shores. Another positive case is putting an end to constructing a small hydroelectric power on the Trchkan waterfall," the assessment reads.
- 554 The Ecclesiastic Assembly in Dvin condemns the Chalcedonian Creed and irrevocably breaks off its relations with the Byzantine "Universal" Church.
- 1001 The architect Trdat, finished the construction of the Main Church of Ani.
- 1592 Birth of Nahapet Koochak. He was Armenia's first troubadour.
- 1827 The first Armenian voluntary brigade was formed in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1899 Birth of benefactor Calouste Gulbenkian in Constantinople. He was a Petroleum Engineer. He founded the Petroleum Benevolent Union in Turkey. In 1930, he was voted President of the Armenian General Benevolent Union. Calouste Gulbenkian died in July 1955 in Lisbon.
- 1912 Death of Gabriel Soondookyan (playwright) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1825.
- 1914 The Armenian History and Archeology Association is created in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1918 Birth of Charles Hrach Papaz, Armenian-American radiophysicist, member of the American Physics and Mathematics Associations and the Electronic Engineers Institute. He is an overseas member of the Armenian National Academy of Science.
- 1921 The first Armenian Art House opened in Tbilissi. It was called after the great writer, Vahan Terian. The president was another great writer, Hovhannes Toomanian.
- 1971 Death of famous actor of the roles of Zimzimov, Iago and Nazar the Brave, Avet Avetisian (Voskanyan).
- 1992 Azeri Turk forces attack Stepanakert from Shooshee, Ghaybalu, Janhasan and Kiosalar. They are defeated and thrown back.