OSCE MINSK GROUP HAS NOT FULFILLED KEY TASK - ANALYST
- YEREVAN. - The key role of the OSCE Minsk Group is to be 'watershed' prevebting resumption of hostilities, political analyst Manvel Gumashyan said at a press conference on Thursday.
The analyst stated that expectations from the MG diametrically differ for the conflicting parties. Armenia assesses the efforts as positive, while Azerbaijan continuously shows dissatisfaction.
"In fact the MG has not fulfilled its key task. However, it is positive that the mediators are hampering war resumption," the expert stated adding the MG expects Azerbaijan to be ready for the compromises and only then it is possible to settle the conflict.
As for the publications and statements on EU replacing France in the OSCE MG, Gumashyan believes it to be 'far from reality.' As to Turkey's aspiration to intensify interference in the Karabakh peace process, Ankara's position has become weaker. Turkey's policy in the region and the Arab world has failed, he added.
Turkey gets activated in generally because the remembrance day of the Armenian Genocide nears and in this context the U.S. President Obama delivers a speech. Thus, Turkey fears that Obama may use the term 'genocide' this time in his speech on the threshold of the U.S. presidential elections.
- 554 The Ecclesiastic Assembly in Dvin condemns the Chalcedonian Creed and irrevocably breaks off its relations with the Byzantine "Universal" Church.
- 1001 The architect Trdat, finished the construction of the Main Church of Ani.
- 1592 Birth of Nahapet Koochak. He was Armenia's first troubadour.
- 1827 The first Armenian voluntary brigade was formed in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1899 Birth of benefactor Calouste Gulbenkian in Constantinople. He was a Petroleum Engineer. He founded the Petroleum Benevolent Union in Turkey. In 1930, he was voted President of the Armenian General Benevolent Union. Calouste Gulbenkian died in July 1955 in Lisbon.
- 1912 Death of Gabriel Soondookyan (playwright) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1825.
- 1914 The Armenian History and Archeology Association is created in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1918 Birth of Charles Hrach Papaz, Armenian-American radiophysicist, member of the American Physics and Mathematics Associations and the Electronic Engineers Institute. He is an overseas member of the Armenian National Academy of Science.
- 1921 The first Armenian Art House opened in Tbilissi. It was called after the great writer, Vahan Terian. The president was another great writer, Hovhannes Toomanian.
- 1971 Death of famous actor of the roles of Zimzimov, Iago and Nazar the Brave, Avet Avetisian (Voskanyan).
- 1992 Azeri Turk forces attack Stepanakert from Shooshee, Ghaybalu, Janhasan and Kiosalar. They are defeated and thrown back.