LIVING ON REMITTANCES SUGGESTS LIVING WITHOUT PERSONAL MEANS - ARMENIAN PM
- YEREVAN. - Raising the standards of living on the account of remittances does not bring about a steady economic growth, Armenia's PM Tigran Sargsyan stated on Saturday, when addressing the students of the Armenian State University of Economics.
"We can raise our citizens' standards of living, but on the account of what? If you have savings in your country, you can create new jobs and increase the economic strength. The pension reform pursues that very objective," Sargsyan noted.
Armenia's PM added that a high-degree education is considered yet another means toward raising the country's wellbeing.
"On the one hand, our economy has a demand for highly specialized jobs, and, on the other hand, there is a workforce which has no demand because of the low education level. That is why we need to secure a high level of education," Tigran Sargsyan stated.
- 1724 The Armenians and Azeri Turks of Gandzak sign an agreement to stand up to the Ottoman Turks.
- 1873 Birth of Nikolay Aghbalyan (educator). He died in 1947.
- 1894 The Hntshak Party figure Jeerayr was hung in Yozghat.
- 1903 Birth of philosopher and art historian, Hrant Apresian.
- 1922 Opening of the State Bank of the Armenian SSR.
- 1932 Birth of Vladimir Yengibarian, world famous boxer, European, World, and Olympic Games' champion, international referee.
- 1934 Birth of American Orientalist Robert Thomson. He was awarded a PhD from Cambridge University for Assyrian and Armenian translations. He translated the "Armenian History" by Agathangelos.
- 1988 The Presidency of the Supreme Soviet of Armenia decided to stop the "Gharabagh" Committee by considering its activity illegal and anti-constitutional.
- 1988 The Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union appoints Arkadi Volski as its authorized representative in the territory of Artsakh.
- 1992 The Helsinki Additional Meeting of the CSCE (now Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe OSCE) Council decides to have a Chairman-in-Office visit the region to contribute to the establishment and the maintenance of a cease-fire in Transcaucasia.