ENVIRONMENTALISTS ORGANIZE PROTEST ACTION IN ARMENIAN VANADZOR (VIDEO)
VANADZOR. - Ecologists organized a protest action in Vanadzor on Friday. At that time a public discussion on the Teghut forest issue was being held in Vanadzor on the order of Armenia's PM.
More than 50 activists gathered in front of Vanadzor's Culture Center to express their protest.
One of the activists informed that they had tried to figure out what the aim of the governmental discussion was but they did not get a satisfactory answer.
To note, the meeting of UN Economic Commission's Arhus Compliance Convention will take place on March 27-31 in Geneva and the Teghut issue will also be discussed.
According to the activists, the Armenian government has organized the public discussion in order to create an illusion that the government is also worried about the issue.
- 1ISTANBUL. - Armenian Narine Mkrtchyan, 21, who had gone to Istanbul with her stepfather and half-brother, was sexually blackmailed by a Turkish man called Orhan and committed suicide. Narine's brother ...
- 1886 Birth of Tsolak Khanzadian, linguist and translator. He died in Moscow, and is buried in Yerevan.
- 1887 Birth of Aristakes Vardanian, linguist and philologist. When he was 23, he become a monk of the Mkhitarist Congregation. He died in 1941.
- 1898 Death of Tigran Tshookhadjiyan - composer and creator of the first Armenian opera - in Smyrna. (He was born in 1836).
- 1904 Birth of composer and important artistic figure, Levon Khoja-Eynatian in Tbilissi.
- 1908 Tachat Terlemezian executes Davo, the traitor.
- 1923 Death of Hovhannes Toomanyan (writer) in Moscow (Russia). He was born in 1869.
- 1929 Birth of Rafael Chmshkian, famous weightlifter, world record-holder, international trainer, European and Helsinki Olympic Games champion.
- 1937 Abolition of the Transcausasian Federation.
- 1937 The 9th Extraordinary Congress of the Armenian SSR confirms the New Constitution for Armenia.
- 1954 The National Congress of Armenia's village doctors opens in Yerevan.
- 1956 Death of actor Goorgen Gabrielyan.
- 1966 Creation of the Armenian Radio and Television Symphonic Orchestra headed by Ohan Doorian.