ISRAELI DID NOT KNOW HIS BAG CONTAINED DIAMONDS WORTH OF $2 MILLION
- A 58-year-old Israeli was detained in Harare, Zimbabwe when attempting to illegally export rough diamonds estimated at $ 2 million.
As the web site New Zimbabwe informs, the detained man was a pilot-instructor of the Israeli air cargo company CAL. He was in Zimbabwe as a tourist however during departure he tried to get through security in a summer outfit.
Weird behavior of the man caught the attention of the customs officials who decided to check him more thoroughly. They discovered 1,300 rough diamonds weighing 1.7 kg, worth $ 2 million in the pilot's carry-on luggage.
After questioning the pilot was released on bail of $5 000 and must appear in court next week.
The pilot told that he did not know about the diamonds, NEWru.com reports.
- 1ISTANBUL. - Armenian Narine Mkrtchyan, 21, who had gone to Istanbul with her stepfather and half-brother, was sexually blackmailed by a Turkish man called Orhan and committed suicide. Narine's brother ...
- 1886 Birth of Tsolak Khanzadian, linguist and translator. He died in Moscow, and is buried in Yerevan.
- 1887 Birth of Aristakes Vardanian, linguist and philologist. When he was 23, he become a monk of the Mkhitarist Congregation. He died in 1941.
- 1898 Death of Tigran Tshookhadjiyan - composer and creator of the first Armenian opera - in Smyrna. (He was born in 1836).
- 1904 Birth of composer and important artistic figure, Levon Khoja-Eynatian in Tbilissi.
- 1908 Tachat Terlemezian executes Davo, the traitor.
- 1923 Death of Hovhannes Toomanyan (writer) in Moscow (Russia). He was born in 1869.
- 1929 Birth of Rafael Chmshkian, famous weightlifter, world record-holder, international trainer, European and Helsinki Olympic Games champion.
- 1937 Abolition of the Transcausasian Federation.
- 1937 The 9th Extraordinary Congress of the Armenian SSR confirms the New Constitution for Armenia.
- 1954 The National Congress of Armenia's village doctors opens in Yerevan.
- 1956 Death of actor Goorgen Gabrielyan.
- 1966 Creation of the Armenian Radio and Television Symphonic Orchestra headed by Ohan Doorian.