FORMER ARMENIAN POLICE OFFICIAL SENTENCED TO 4 YEARS IN JAIL
- YEREVAN. - The judge sentenced former Chief of the Police Force Criminal Investigation Department, Police Major General Hovhannes Tamamyan to four years in jail.
Speaking during the Friday hearings Tamamyan's lawyer asked the court for a year imprisonment. Hovhannes Tamanyan took the floor, while other two defendants refused to deliver final speech.
Hovhannes Tamamyan, Armen Poghosyan and Vahan Khanzadyan are charged with abuse of power, which has caused serious consequences.
Armen Poghosyan and Vahan Khanzadyan are given two-year suspended sentence.
- 1ISTANBUL. - Armenian Narine Mkrtchyan, 21, who had gone to Istanbul with her stepfather and half-brother, was sexually blackmailed by a Turkish man called Orhan and committed suicide. Narine's brother ...
- 1886 Birth of Tsolak Khanzadian, linguist and translator. He died in Moscow, and is buried in Yerevan.
- 1887 Birth of Aristakes Vardanian, linguist and philologist. When he was 23, he become a monk of the Mkhitarist Congregation. He died in 1941.
- 1898 Death of Tigran Tshookhadjiyan - composer and creator of the first Armenian opera - in Smyrna. (He was born in 1836).
- 1904 Birth of composer and important artistic figure, Levon Khoja-Eynatian in Tbilissi.
- 1908 Tachat Terlemezian executes Davo, the traitor.
- 1923 Death of Hovhannes Toomanyan (writer) in Moscow (Russia). He was born in 1869.
- 1929 Birth of Rafael Chmshkian, famous weightlifter, world record-holder, international trainer, European and Helsinki Olympic Games champion.
- 1937 Abolition of the Transcausasian Federation.
- 1937 The 9th Extraordinary Congress of the Armenian SSR confirms the New Constitution for Armenia.
- 1954 The National Congress of Armenia's village doctors opens in Yerevan.
- 1956 Death of actor Goorgen Gabrielyan.
- 1966 Creation of the Armenian Radio and Television Symphonic Orchestra headed by Ohan Doorian.