FREE AND FAIR ELECTIONS TO PROMOTE ARMENIA'S IMAGE -US AMBASSADOR
- YEREVAN. - The U.S. welcomes Armenian authorities' intention to hold free, fair and credible elections, as well as promises regarding investigation of all violations and punishing the guilty, U.S. Ambassador to Armenia John Heffern said at a conference on free and fair elections in Yerevan.
The Ambassador said that Armenia and the U.S. have been cooperating for over 20 years and they have recorded progress. The U.S. have been assisting Armenia in its way to democracy development and turning into a prosperous democratic state.
According to him, conduction of parliamentary elections this year and next year's presidential ones in accordance with international standards will promote Armenia's image and will strengthen cooperation with the U.S. and the EU. At the same time the Ambassador stated the importance of the rule of transparency and fairness principles not only directly in the elections, but also in pre-election period.
"Healthy competition requires providing of equal conditions for all the participants," Heffern concluded.
- 1ISTANBUL. - Armenian Narine Mkrtchyan, 21, who had gone to Istanbul with her stepfather and half-brother, was sexually blackmailed by a Turkish man called Orhan and committed suicide. Narine's brother ...
- 1886 Birth of Tsolak Khanzadian, linguist and translator. He died in Moscow, and is buried in Yerevan.
- 1887 Birth of Aristakes Vardanian, linguist and philologist. When he was 23, he become a monk of the Mkhitarist Congregation. He died in 1941.
- 1898 Death of Tigran Tshookhadjiyan - composer and creator of the first Armenian opera - in Smyrna. (He was born in 1836).
- 1904 Birth of composer and important artistic figure, Levon Khoja-Eynatian in Tbilissi.
- 1908 Tachat Terlemezian executes Davo, the traitor.
- 1923 Death of Hovhannes Toomanyan (writer) in Moscow (Russia). He was born in 1869.
- 1929 Birth of Rafael Chmshkian, famous weightlifter, world record-holder, international trainer, European and Helsinki Olympic Games champion.
- 1937 Abolition of the Transcausasian Federation.
- 1937 The 9th Extraordinary Congress of the Armenian SSR confirms the New Constitution for Armenia.
- 1954 The National Congress of Armenia's village doctors opens in Yerevan.
- 1956 Death of actor Goorgen Gabrielyan.
- 1966 Creation of the Armenian Radio and Television Symphonic Orchestra headed by Ohan Doorian.