OUR AUTHORITIES SQUANDERED RIGHT TO POLITICIZE THE WORD "TO BELIEVE" - ARMENIAN OPPOSITION MP
- YEREVAN. - Armenia's bill on the State of Emergency will cause serious problems for the country abroad; it is a troublesome law, opposition ARF Dashnaktsutyun Party's National Assembly (NA) Faction leader Vahan Hovhannisyan stated during a briefing at NA.
"Any country must have a law to prevent special incidents. We demanded that there would not be such divisions within the MOD. It should have been within the police or security agencies. They did not listen to us, and the army was given the right to intervene, which is unconstitutional," Hovhannisyan said.
And in response to the question as to whether ARF could join the ruling coalition following the parliamentary elections in May, Vahan Hovhannisyan noted: "We want to increase our presence in the parliament so much that there would not be a need for coalitions."
"The word 'to believe' is in the slogans of the three coalition forces. A [ruling coalition's] Republican [Party of Armenia] MP said you need to have a right to politicize 'believing' and to bring it into politics. Our authorities have squandered that right. The authorities have come to understand that they have no argument to present to the people," Vahan Hovhannisyan concluded.
Photo by Sona Barseghyan
- 1ISTANBUL. - Armenian Narine Mkrtchyan, 21, who had gone to Istanbul with her stepfather and half-brother, was sexually blackmailed by a Turkish man called Orhan and committed suicide. Narine's brother ...
- 1886 Birth of Tsolak Khanzadian, linguist and translator. He died in Moscow, and is buried in Yerevan.
- 1887 Birth of Aristakes Vardanian, linguist and philologist. When he was 23, he become a monk of the Mkhitarist Congregation. He died in 1941.
- 1898 Death of Tigran Tshookhadjiyan - composer and creator of the first Armenian opera - in Smyrna. (He was born in 1836).
- 1904 Birth of composer and important artistic figure, Levon Khoja-Eynatian in Tbilissi.
- 1908 Tachat Terlemezian executes Davo, the traitor.
- 1923 Death of Hovhannes Toomanyan (writer) in Moscow (Russia). He was born in 1869.
- 1929 Birth of Rafael Chmshkian, famous weightlifter, world record-holder, international trainer, European and Helsinki Olympic Games champion.
- 1937 Abolition of the Transcausasian Federation.
- 1937 The 9th Extraordinary Congress of the Armenian SSR confirms the New Constitution for Armenia.
- 1954 The National Congress of Armenia's village doctors opens in Yerevan.
- 1956 Death of actor Goorgen Gabrielyan.
- 1966 Creation of the Armenian Radio and Television Symphonic Orchestra headed by Ohan Doorian.