SWITZERLAND READY TO RESTORE MEDIATION BETWEEN ARMENIA AND TURKEY
- Switzerland and Turkey want to strengthen their economic cooperation, Swiss RTS website reports.
Head of the Federal Department of Economic Affairs (FDEA) Federal Councilor Johann Schneider-Ammann along with 15 businessmen will discuss Switzerland's interests in the Turkish market. The level of development is high, he told the Turk journalists after the meeting with his Turkish counterpart Zafer Caglayan.
The relations between Turkey and Switzerland have been tense since Swiss parliament recognized the Armenian Genocide in 2003. Anyway, Switzerland has become a mediator between Armenia and Turkey bringing forth signing of a record to regulate the relations.
The process was frozen in 2010, when Armenia accused Ankara of offering 'unacceptable preconditions' to ratify he protocols signed between the countries. Schneider-Ammann reiterated Switzerland's readiness to restore mediatory efforts in case both sides express desire to do it.
- 1ISTANBUL. - Armenian Narine Mkrtchyan, 21, who had gone to Istanbul with her stepfather and half-brother, was sexually blackmailed by a Turkish man called Orhan and committed suicide. Narine's brother ...
- 1886 Birth of Tsolak Khanzadian, linguist and translator. He died in Moscow, and is buried in Yerevan.
- 1887 Birth of Aristakes Vardanian, linguist and philologist. When he was 23, he become a monk of the Mkhitarist Congregation. He died in 1941.
- 1898 Death of Tigran Tshookhadjiyan - composer and creator of the first Armenian opera - in Smyrna. (He was born in 1836).
- 1904 Birth of composer and important artistic figure, Levon Khoja-Eynatian in Tbilissi.
- 1908 Tachat Terlemezian executes Davo, the traitor.
- 1923 Death of Hovhannes Toomanyan (writer) in Moscow (Russia). He was born in 1869.
- 1929 Birth of Rafael Chmshkian, famous weightlifter, world record-holder, international trainer, European and Helsinki Olympic Games champion.
- 1937 Abolition of the Transcausasian Federation.
- 1937 The 9th Extraordinary Congress of the Armenian SSR confirms the New Constitution for Armenia.
- 1954 The National Congress of Armenia's village doctors opens in Yerevan.
- 1956 Death of actor Goorgen Gabrielyan.
- 1966 Creation of the Armenian Radio and Television Symphonic Orchestra headed by Ohan Doorian.