COUNTRY'S SOCIETY UNDERSCORES QUALITY OF ELECTIONS MORE THAN EVER - ARMENIA'S PM
- YEREVAN. - The holding of free and transparent elections is the very important political task of Armenia, PM Tigran Sargsyan noted during the seminar, entitled "Toward Free and Transparent Elections," which is being held in the capital Yerevan on Friday.
In his words, Armenia's society underscores the quality of elections more than ever. At the same time, the political authorities likewise are determined to hold the country's most transparent elections ever.
Tigran Sargsyan noted that the violations, deficiencies, and shortcomings in the previous elections were taken into consideration when making improvements in Armenia's Electoral Code. The professional skills of law enforcement officers were raised, too.
In conclusion, PM Sargsyan assured that no election violation will remain unpunished.
Armenia's parliamentary elections will be conducted on May 6.
- 1ISTANBUL. - Armenian Narine Mkrtchyan, 21, who had gone to Istanbul with her stepfather and half-brother, was sexually blackmailed by a Turkish man called Orhan and committed suicide. Narine's brother ...
- 1886 Birth of Tsolak Khanzadian, linguist and translator. He died in Moscow, and is buried in Yerevan.
- 1887 Birth of Aristakes Vardanian, linguist and philologist. When he was 23, he become a monk of the Mkhitarist Congregation. He died in 1941.
- 1898 Death of Tigran Tshookhadjiyan - composer and creator of the first Armenian opera - in Smyrna. (He was born in 1836).
- 1904 Birth of composer and important artistic figure, Levon Khoja-Eynatian in Tbilissi.
- 1908 Tachat Terlemezian executes Davo, the traitor.
- 1923 Death of Hovhannes Toomanyan (writer) in Moscow (Russia). He was born in 1869.
- 1929 Birth of Rafael Chmshkian, famous weightlifter, world record-holder, international trainer, European and Helsinki Olympic Games champion.
- 1937 Abolition of the Transcausasian Federation.
- 1937 The 9th Extraordinary Congress of the Armenian SSR confirms the New Constitution for Armenia.
- 1954 The National Congress of Armenia's village doctors opens in Yerevan.
- 1956 Death of actor Goorgen Gabrielyan.
- 1966 Creation of the Armenian Radio and Television Symphonic Orchestra headed by Ohan Doorian.