PARLIAMENT SHOULD NOT APPEAL TO TRUE ARTIST - ARMENIAN MUSICAL CONDUCTOR
- YEREVAN. - During Armenia's current pre-election season, when representatives of the country's show business as well as some men and women of the arts and letters dream of having their place in the National Assembly (NA), Aravot daily asked musical conductor Eduard Topchian how he perceived this "phenomenon."
'"Even though acknowledging that this is everyone's right, I find that, NA should not appeal to a high-level musician, a true artist, for example,' the conductor said. Reminding that on a variety of occasions he has expressed positively about singer Shushan Petrosyan [who is running for a parliamentary seat], who will most likely enter the NA, we asked [Topchian] to speak specifically in this regard.
'I love, respect, and appreciate Shushan as a singer. She is a smart woman. I, too, am interested in her programs; and I will speak [with her] on this topic during [our] next meeting,' Topchian said," Aravot writes.
- 1ISTANBUL. - Armenian Narine Mkrtchyan, 21, who had gone to Istanbul with her stepfather and half-brother, was sexually blackmailed by a Turkish man called Orhan and committed suicide. Narine's brother ...
- 1886 Birth of Tsolak Khanzadian, linguist and translator. He died in Moscow, and is buried in Yerevan.
- 1887 Birth of Aristakes Vardanian, linguist and philologist. When he was 23, he become a monk of the Mkhitarist Congregation. He died in 1941.
- 1898 Death of Tigran Tshookhadjiyan - composer and creator of the first Armenian opera - in Smyrna. (He was born in 1836).
- 1904 Birth of composer and important artistic figure, Levon Khoja-Eynatian in Tbilissi.
- 1908 Tachat Terlemezian executes Davo, the traitor.
- 1923 Death of Hovhannes Toomanyan (writer) in Moscow (Russia). He was born in 1869.
- 1929 Birth of Rafael Chmshkian, famous weightlifter, world record-holder, international trainer, European and Helsinki Olympic Games champion.
- 1937 Abolition of the Transcausasian Federation.
- 1937 The 9th Extraordinary Congress of the Armenian SSR confirms the New Constitution for Armenia.
- 1954 The National Congress of Armenia's village doctors opens in Yerevan.
- 1956 Death of actor Goorgen Gabrielyan.
- 1966 Creation of the Armenian Radio and Television Symphonic Orchestra headed by Ohan Doorian.