IRANIAN NATION SUPPORTS GOVERNMENT - EXPERT
- The results of the parliamentary elections in Iran do not affect the country's foreign policy, famous Russian Iranist Karine Gevorgyan told the reporter of Armenian News-NEWS.am.
According to her, whoever was to come to powers in Iran the country's foreign policy will not change.
As she mentions, even though the elite groups, some of which support the President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and some the religious leader Ali Khamenei lead a cruel war, they are in a consensus concerning the country's foreign policy.
"The threat from outside and the threat of 'punishment' unite the nation including its leaders," she mentioned.
Talking about the country's domestic policy she mentioned that no radical changes should be expected here either. According to her, Iran's population supports the government and is happy with its current regime.
- 1854 England, France, and Turkey, declare war on Russia.
- 1862 Birth of Grigoris Galemkarian in Constantinople, media historian, linguist, bibliographer and member of the Mkhitarist Congregation in Vienna.
- 1869 Birth of Vaseelee Bartold in St. Petersburg, oriental studies scholar and academician. Many of his studies are devoted to Armenian subjects. In the Encyclopedia of Islam, he published a series of articles on mediaeval Armenian cities.
- 1880 First publication of the "Crown" (weekly) in Yerevan. Vasak Papaganyan is the editor.
- 1891 Death of writer Khachatur Meessakyan.
- 1907 Death of Hambardzoom Alatjatjyan, the editor of "Poonj" daily.
- 1920 Opening of the Jury Court in Yerevan.
- 1921 Soghomon Tehlirian executes Talaat Pasha in his hiding place in Berlin (Germany). Talaat was one of the perpetrators of the 1915 Armenian Genocide which killed about one million Armenians. Tehlirian was tried and found innocent of murder because of the nature of the person he killed. Despite this, today, Talaat is revered in Turkey.
- 1924 Yerevan's cotton factory starts operations.
- 1935 Birth of Leonid Yengibaryan (circus actor). He died in 1972.
- 1954 The first group of Armenia's "komsomols" go to work Kazakhstan's new agricultural lands.
- 1959 Fifth election of the Armenian Supreme Council.