YEREVAN FLOWER PRICES VIRTUALLY SAME AS MARCH 8 OF PAST YEAR
- YEREVAN. - Armenian News-NEWS.am's monitoring conducted in capital Yerevan's flower market has revealed that Thursday's flower prices are virtually same as March 8 of the past year, albeit, as compared with the working days, the prices have naturally increased.
A small bouquet of snowdrops and violets is sold for AMD 200; the jonquils are the same, too. Local poppy prices start from AMD 300, whereas the Dutch ones, from AMD 700. But these prices will considerably drop on Friday.
Just as in the years past, the most demanded flowers are the roses. Dutch rose prices start from AMD 2,000, whereas the local ones start from AMD 1,000. To note, roses are sold for close to AMD 500 more in Yerevan stores than in the outdoors.
Also, there are numerous flower compositions, and their prices vary just as much. A good flower composition starts from approximately AMD 8,000.
In line with the current exchange rate, US$ 1 is equivalent to approximately AMD 390.
- 0 Day of Women, Maternity and Beauty.
- 1878 The Armenian delegation, headed by Mkrtitsh Khrimyan "Hairik", left Constantinople to attend the Berlin Conference that dealt with the Armenian Question and the issues of the Treaty of San Stefano.
- 1892 Death of Srapion Hekimian, a prominent figure in the renaissance of the Armenian theater, acting and dramaturgy. He was born in 1832.
- 1911 Birth of Alan Vaness Chakmakjian (Alan Hovhanness), composer. He died in 2000.
- 1911 Birth of Alan Hovhannes (composer).
- 1919 Publication of Sultan Mohamed the 6th's Wahid-ed-din's Imperial Proclamation on starting court proceedings against the Young Turk government's leaders and the "Union and Progress" Party heads.
- 1956 Death of Dro (Drastamat Kanayan). He led the victorious Armenian troops who fought off the Turkish attack at Aparan in 1918. His remains were transferred there in 2001. He was born in 1884.
- 1965 Vanadzor's (Kirovakan) Thermal Power Station is put on line.
- 1965 People's Artist Martiros Saryan (painter) is declared a Hero of Socialism.
- 1969 Opening of Yerevan's Drama Theatre with the presentation of "Anoosh".
- 1975 The UN officially proclaims March 8 as International Women's Day. The world celebrated this day since 1910.