WORLD SHOULD GIVE ASSESSMENT OF AZERBAIJAN'S STATEMENTS INCITING HATRED TOWARDS ARMENIANS
- BRUSSELS.- Azerbaijan's statements inciting hatred towards Armenians should get an assessment of the world community, President Serzh Sargsyan said.
The Armenian leader told a briefing that he and NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen had discussed the issues related to Karabakh peace process during their Tuesday meeting, the Armenian News-NEWS.am correspondent reports from Brussels.
"The Azerbaijani side rejects any offer to build confidence measures either referring to promotion of regional cooperation or to relieving tension in the line of contact.
For instance, Azerbaijan opposes the offer to remove snipers from the line of contact and conduct an investigation into the incidents in the line of contact. Moreover, several days ago Azerbaijani leader said the number one enemy of Azerbaijan are Armenians living all over the globe," President Sargsyan said.
He stressed that NATO Secretary General shared his opinion that the conflict must be resolved peacefully and through talks held within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group.
- 1857 Death of Rooben Papazian, linguist, teacher, literary and public figure. He was born in 1806, in Constantinople.
- 1894 Birth of one of the founders of the Armenian national ballet school, Ilia Arbatov (Yeghia Yaghoobian) in Tbilissi.
- 1905 Death of composer Makar Yekmalian. He was born in 1856.
- 1916 Signature of the Sykes-Picot Secret Pact between Great Britain and France. It dealt with the allocation of the Asian regions of the Ottoman Empire.
- 1921 Creation of the "Ararat" trust in Yerevan.
- 1924 Foundation of the Armenian State Central Archives by decree of Armenia's Central Committee. Now there are 3 million documents in our archive. The oldest document dates from 1630.
- 1926 Foundation of the first Sewing Factory in Yerevan.
- 1945 Lieutenant-colonel of the Guard, Nelson Stepanyan is awarded his second "Gold Star" medal. Because he is a two-time "Hero of the USSR" his bronze bust is to be placed before his residence.
- 1955 Fourth election of the Armenian SSR Supreme Council.
- 1974 During a meeting of the UN Human Rights Sub-Committee, the 1915 Genocide of the Armenians was recognized as the first Genocide fo the 20th century.
- 1992 Azeri Turk forces occupy Karanchi (Martakert, Artsakh).