ARMENIA COMMITTED TO CONTINUE MUTUALLY BENEFICIAL COOPERATION WITH NATO - PRESIDENT
- BRUSSELS.- Armenia is committed to continue mutually beneficial cooperation with NATO, said Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan.
"We realize that modern threats and challenges can be overcome only through joint efforts," he told a briefing following his talks with NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen in Brussels on Tuesday.
The President stressed it is one of the reasons why Armenia tripled the number of peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan over the recent years, the Armenian News-NEWS.am correspondent reports from Brussels.
Armenia jointly with NATO, effectively carries out reforms in the fields of defense, security and emergency situations, he added.
President Sargsyan pointed out Individual Partnership Action Plan program which remains the basis of Armenia-NATO partnership.
- 1857 Death of Rooben Papazian, linguist, teacher, literary and public figure. He was born in 1806, in Constantinople.
- 1894 Birth of one of the founders of the Armenian national ballet school, Ilia Arbatov (Yeghia Yaghoobian) in Tbilissi.
- 1905 Death of composer Makar Yekmalian. He was born in 1856.
- 1916 Signature of the Sykes-Picot Secret Pact between Great Britain and France. It dealt with the allocation of the Asian regions of the Ottoman Empire.
- 1921 Creation of the "Ararat" trust in Yerevan.
- 1924 Foundation of the Armenian State Central Archives by decree of Armenia's Central Committee. Now there are 3 million documents in our archive. The oldest document dates from 1630.
- 1926 Foundation of the first Sewing Factory in Yerevan.
- 1945 Lieutenant-colonel of the Guard, Nelson Stepanyan is awarded his second "Gold Star" medal. Because he is a two-time "Hero of the USSR" his bronze bust is to be placed before his residence.
- 1955 Fourth election of the Armenian SSR Supreme Council.
- 1974 During a meeting of the UN Human Rights Sub-Committee, the 1915 Genocide of the Armenians was recognized as the first Genocide fo the 20th century.
- 1992 Azeri Turk forces occupy Karanchi (Martakert, Artsakh).