NATO AND ARMENIA SHARE MANY POLITICAL PRIORITIES - RASMUSSEN
- BRUSSELS.- President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan met with NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen at the NATO Headquarters in Brussels on Tuesday.
During the 40-minute meeting, the sides discussed the issues related to Armenia's partnership with the Alliance, the Armenian News-NEWS.am correspondent reports from Brussels.
The Secretary General thanked President Sargsyan for Armenia's contribution to the Alliance's ISAF operation in Afghanistan.
"NATO and Armenia share many political priorities and security interest. And we have built up our cooperation and dialogue over many years. Our relationship contributes to regional security and Euro-Atlantic security. And we want to take it forward in that way," Rasmussen said.
Secretary General stressed that the South Caucasus region is important for the Alliance, and Armenia is an important partner for NATO.
"At Chicago, we will review the progress of transition in Afghanistan and take decisions on our commitment beyond 2014, once the Afghan forces have full security responsibility throughout the country. As an ISAF contributor, Armenia will participate closely in the decision-shaping process," he added, NATO website says.
President Sargsyan also addressed the North Atlantic Council and discussed with Allies preparations for the Chicago Summit.
- 1857 Death of Rooben Papazian, linguist, teacher, literary and public figure. He was born in 1806, in Constantinople.
- 1894 Birth of one of the founders of the Armenian national ballet school, Ilia Arbatov (Yeghia Yaghoobian) in Tbilissi.
- 1905 Death of composer Makar Yekmalian. He was born in 1856.
- 1916 Signature of the Sykes-Picot Secret Pact between Great Britain and France. It dealt with the allocation of the Asian regions of the Ottoman Empire.
- 1921 Creation of the "Ararat" trust in Yerevan.
- 1924 Foundation of the Armenian State Central Archives by decree of Armenia's Central Committee. Now there are 3 million documents in our archive. The oldest document dates from 1630.
- 1926 Foundation of the first Sewing Factory in Yerevan.
- 1945 Lieutenant-colonel of the Guard, Nelson Stepanyan is awarded his second "Gold Star" medal. Because he is a two-time "Hero of the USSR" his bronze bust is to be placed before his residence.
- 1955 Fourth election of the Armenian SSR Supreme Council.
- 1974 During a meeting of the UN Human Rights Sub-Committee, the 1915 Genocide of the Armenians was recognized as the first Genocide fo the 20th century.
- 1992 Azeri Turk forces occupy Karanchi (Martakert, Artsakh).