ARMENIAN DIASPORAS ALL OVER THE WORLD REPRESENT AN EXCEPTIONAL POWER - PRESIDENT SARGSYAN
- Armenian Diasporas all over the world represent an exceptional power, which can achieve enormous results, when acting together, said Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan in the framework of his working visit to Brussels, during the meeting with representatives of Armenian Diaspora of Belgium.
The president stressed, that Armenian Diaspora of Belgium is a bridge, which connects two states and helps to improve bilateral relations between Armenia and Belgium, reports Armenian News-NEWS.am journalist from Brussels.
Representatives of Belgium Diocese of Armenian Apostolic Church, head of Armenia-Belgium Chamber of Commerce Valeri Safaryan and other renowned Armenians from Brussels, Liege and Antwerp. The representatives of Armenian diaspora expressed their concerns on Azerbaijani anti-Armenian propaganda and asked about Armenia's reaction.
President Sargsyan noted that Armenia responds to that and stressed, that Armenia is in better position, as any lobbyist has to accept the fact that there are over 50 political prisoners in Azerbaijan and human rights have been severely violated there, which is also mentioned in the reports of international organizations on Azerbaijan.
Another important topic that interested Armenians in Belgium was the fortune of Armenian-Turkish protocols. Serzh Sargsyan told the Armenian Diaspora that the protocols are currently in Turkish parliament.
Presently there are about 25,000 Armenians living in Belgium. The Armenian Diaspora emerged in Belgium in 1915, when Armenians, who suffered the Genocide in Turkey, left Turkey and immigrated all over the world.
- 1857 Death of Rooben Papazian, linguist, teacher, literary and public figure. He was born in 1806, in Constantinople.
- 1894 Birth of one of the founders of the Armenian national ballet school, Ilia Arbatov (Yeghia Yaghoobian) in Tbilissi.
- 1905 Death of composer Makar Yekmalian. He was born in 1856.
- 1916 Signature of the Sykes-Picot Secret Pact between Great Britain and France. It dealt with the allocation of the Asian regions of the Ottoman Empire.
- 1921 Creation of the "Ararat" trust in Yerevan.
- 1924 Foundation of the Armenian State Central Archives by decree of Armenia's Central Committee. Now there are 3 million documents in our archive. The oldest document dates from 1630.
- 1926 Foundation of the first Sewing Factory in Yerevan.
- 1945 Lieutenant-colonel of the Guard, Nelson Stepanyan is awarded his second "Gold Star" medal. Because he is a two-time "Hero of the USSR" his bronze bust is to be placed before his residence.
- 1955 Fourth election of the Armenian SSR Supreme Council.
- 1974 During a meeting of the UN Human Rights Sub-Committee, the 1915 Genocide of the Armenians was recognized as the first Genocide fo the 20th century.
- 1992 Azeri Turk forces occupy Karanchi (Martakert, Artsakh).