DOLLAR STABILIZES IN ARMENIA
- YEREVAN. - Foreign currency trading volume seems to be increasing at NASDAQ OMX Armenia stock exchange. And even though the US dollar is maintaining its overall upward motion, there are no substantial fluctuations in its exchange rate against the Armenian dram (AMD).
At present, AMD 389/$1 is considered to be the "benchmark" for Armenia's banks, and the Central Bank's intervention into the exchange rate is brought to a minimum.
The dollar's average rate at the stock exchange was 388.94/$1, on Monday, which is a 0.05-percent, or a 0.19-point, growth as compared with Friday.
The total sales were $4.78 million.
And Armenia's exchange offices start selling the dollar at AMD 389.5/$1, and buy it at a maximum of AMD 388/$1.
- 1862 Ter Harootyoonian publisheds the "Yeghbayraser" periodical until 1863, in Calcutta.
- 1873 Birth of writer Teodeek (Labchinchian) in Constantinople. He barely escaped from the Der Zor desert and lived under another name till the end of the First World War. Then he returned to his birthplace. His famous books are "Monument to April 24" and "Calendar for Everyone", which he finished in Paris.
- 1878 Birth of Zaruhi Dolukhanyan (singer). She died in 1936.
- 1920 Parade of the veterans of the defenders of Hatjin, Cilicia. Four battalions resisted Turkish aggression till the middle of October. The heroic battle of Hatjin is one of the bright pages in the history of our national struggle.
- 1924 Death of Vrooyr, actor, satirist, and founding editor of the "Hoosharar" periodical.
- 1959 Birth of Vazgen Sargsian, one of the leaders of the Artsakh War. He was Prime Minister of Armenia in June, 1999 and was assassinated in the Armenian National Assembly on 1999 10 27.
- 1991 Creation of the "Gharabagh Committee" of Russian intellectuals in Moscow. The purpose was the internationalization and just resolution of the Artsakh Problem.
- 1998 The Cypriot Parliament condemns the decision to desecrate the Makar Church (in the territories occupied by Turkey) by turning it into a hotel. The Turkish forces had devastated and pillaged it during Turkey's invasion of Cyprus in 1974.