OSCE OFFICE AND YEREVAN STATE UNIVERSITY SIGN COOPERATION AGREEMENT
- YEREVAN.- The Head of the OSCE Office in Yerevan, Ambassador Andrey Sorokin and Rector of the Yerevan State University, Aram Simonyan, signed on Friday a Memorandum of Understanding on establishing a Sustainable Development Centre in the Yerevan State University.
The Centre will support Armenia in the adaptation and implementation of the UN declarations on sustainable development by raising awareness through roundtable meetings, training sessions, and serving as a resource hub to support researchers in their work.
The aim of the Centre is to ensure enhanced participation of civil society and the scientific community in the promotion of principles outlined in the UN Rio Declaration on Environment and Development.
According to the co-operation agreement free access to the Centre's facilities for individuals, non-governmental organizations, associations, governmental institutions and international organizations will be ensured. It also envisages setting up a library and a website.
- 0 Vardanants Day of the Armenian Apostolic Church Calendar.
- 1902 Stepan Shahoomyan organizes a student strike at the Polytechnic Institute in Riga (Estonia). As a consequence, he is exiled to the Caucasus.
- 1916 "The Armenians and the War" magazine was publishing in Odessa from March to the following February .
- 1917 Creation of the Provisional Russian Government.
- 1931 Birth of the German orientalist and armenologist Alfred Gutschmidt. His studies focussed on the sources of Khorenatsi and Agathangeghos.
- 1931 Birth of Mikhail Gorbachov, the first and last President of the Soviet Union.
- 1981 Start of operations for Yerevan's subway. In 2001 it extends over 12 kilometers and has 10 stations.
- 1992 Armenia becomes a member of the United Nations.