ARMENIAN RULING PARTY WOMEN WAGE FIERCE BATTLE FOR 6TH SPOT IN PROPORTIONAL ELECTION LIST - NEWSPAPER
- YEREVAN. - Pursuant to Armenia's new Electoral Code, not counting the first place in the proportional election list of the country's political parties, every other fifth spot must be given to women, 168 Zham daily writes.
"That is, the first woman will have to be in sixth place. According to our information, a fierce battle has waged among the women's circle in [the ruling coalition's Republican Party of Armenia] RPA for that very sixth place. [And MP] Hermine Naghdalyan—who is the chair of RPA Women's Council—, MP Karine Achemyan, and Diaspora Minister Hranush Hakobyan are vying for that [spot]. In response to our reporter's question as to who the Party's first woman will be, [National Assembly] NA Deputy Speaker and RPA Spokesperson Eduard Sharmazanov said: 'The Party has not yet discussed the proportional [election] list, also including matters connected with it,'" 168 Zham writes.
- 1Armenian News-NEWS.am presents the article of Peter Mullen which had been published in the Daily Telegraph: The current head of al-Qaeda al-Zawahiri announced that his terrorist organization will support ...
- 1901 Death of Stepan Oskanyan (public figure). He was born in 1825.
- 1923 Death of Grigor Chilinkiryan (public figure and translator) in Smyrna. He was born in 1833.
- 1925 Birth of Manouk Atoyan (engineer) in Javakhk (Georgia). He died in 1998.
- 1932 First issue of the "Literary Newspaper" of the Federation of Soviet Writers of Armenia.
- 1959 Establishment in Yerevan of the Union of Cultural Relations with Eastern Arabian Countries.